About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fun Adventures Ahead!

Basically I have spent the past couple of days planning fun weekend trips with my flatmate Jasmine. It all kicks off Thursday when we start our Reading Week, which is a week off from classes to study but will be used much more effectively as a travel week. We will hop on a plane from London to Marseille, France and spend the weekend there. It happens to be where my mother's family came from. That's not why am going, but it was an exciting discovery. Then we will take a train from there to Barcelona, and spend about 4 days enjoying that. Then on Thursday we will get a plane back over to London and spend the weekend there going sightseeing and, more importantly,...GOING TO COMIC CON!!
I am very excited because I have always wanted to go to Comic Con. I assumed I would be going to the one in San Diego, but clearly the time for that has not yet come. Jasmine and I are meeting 3 of our friends there so I am thrilled that I have found people who would want to go to Comic Con. For Halloween we are dressing up as princess versions of the Avengers so I will probably just wear that costume to Comic Con. I am Thor and who doesn't love Thor?!

So that is my really big trip, but all my other weekends are now officially booked:
November 1-4 Scotland (Edinburgh & Glasgow via train)
November 8-11 Dublin
November 16-18 Milan
November 23-25 Seville, Spain (I'm going to visit a friends from Camp who is studying there)
Nov 29-Dec 2 Nothing...yet.
December 5-9 My friend from camp is going to visit me so I need to think of something to do.
December 15 Winter Break starts

Basically my credit/debit card has had a nice little workout. I saved up all this money to spend it on travel, so travel I will.

I am a bit tired of filling out all the information in order to book hostels, trains, and planes. It gets a bit annoying having to fill out all the same info over and over again because you are using a plethora of websites. You know your tired when you start misspelling your own name and I can't tell you how many times I accidentally put my home state as Alaska instead of Alabama. Almost all the booking is done and the rest will most likely be completed tomorrow.

This weekend is going to end up being the only weekend that I didn't go somewhere, but I definitely have enjoyed the extra sleep. Friday night I went to Friday Night Disco (FND) in the Student Union with Jasmine. Probably seems like we spend a lot of time together, but I don't see her that much during the week. Anyway this particular FND was Toga Frat themed so we got dressed up in togas. Thankfully I went to Toga Party at Hendrix last year so I just did the same thing for the toga. However, last year my roommate Elizabeth dressed me and did my hair and makeup. I was on my own this time and its more difficult when you actually have to do things for yourself. Everything turned out fine, but of course I forgot to take pictures. The party was a lot of fun, but we didn't get there till about 12. Basically that meant I had time to be a perfectionist and I think I rewrapped my toga about twenty times. I got so tired of waiting, but once we got there we ended up staying till it ended at 4/4:30. Lots of dancing and we met up with some of the Spanish study abroad students.
One thing I noticed is that there was a crazy amount of broken glass on the floor. People would just set their empty glasses on the floor instead of walking a couple of feet over to the tables. It was very annoying. Overall it was a fantastic night, but there was a serious lack of red solo cups. How can you have a Toga Frat party wihtou red solo cups?!

The rest of the weekend I just read because I have not really started making a dent in my reading lists and I definitely need to start doing that considering I no longer have any free weekends. I'm just glad I am staying another semester because otherwise there just wouldn't be enough time to get in all the travelling I want to do. I basically want to travel as if I will never be back in Europe again, even though I know that is not true. I just want to take advantage of it.

Other news/observations:
-Tesco = Walmart
-the tap water is AWFUL
-togas in cold weather = a very cold walk
-get a 16-25 railcard because it reduces prices by 1/3
-care packages with Goldfish, Ramen, Mac&Cheese, and Buffy/Dr. Horrible comic books are the best!

1 comment:

  1. Be ready to visit Spain again next semester! It's great to hear from you. I miss you a lot. I'm glad your toga worked out.

    ReplyDelete