About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cologne/Koln


Originally we planned to take a ferry from Mainz to Freiburg, but things didn't pan out so we caught a train instead. I'll have to it next time, especially since it is free if you have a Eurail pass. 

Our first hostel was delightfully tiny, and although a bit difficult to find at first I would definitely stay there again. But we were only there one night before we moved to a hostel in the city center. 

We didn't really have anything planned for Cologne 'cause we figured that one day would basically be taken up by the ferry. So we strolled along the Rhine and just did whatever caught our fancy. We ran into this huge cathedral, which is free to go into. It is massive and the craftsmanship is just incredible. Right next to that is the Archaeological Museum & the Ludwig Museum, but we weren't really drawn to either of those. Instead we crossed the bridge over the Rhine and looked at the insane amount of locks of love. Kind of a ridiculous concept in my mind and way too mushy, but there were some cool locks. I am now in the market for a turtle lock and Ally wants one shaped like a fish. 
On the other side of the bridge there is an amazing view of the cathedral and the old town, but that's about it so we headed back across.

We walked along the river, passing by all the ferries and tour boats, and found ourselves at the chocolate museum. Of course, we couldn't pass that up. We learned all about how chocolate is made and how certain companies are working ethically with the farmers. There was an entire section on fair trade. But more importantly we got chocolate. Due to our super sneaky skills we managed to get more than was originally allocated to us. And it was good chocolate. Now that is all I want. 

But instead of eating only chocolate, I got a bratwurst and chips. Still good, but not chocolate. And that night I had a kebab burger so I know better than to listen to myself.
Oh, we also got to watch this adorable kid named Oliver chase pigeons around. He would lure them in by offering bread and then he would run at them. The kid was having a blast.

The next day we just wandered around the city again. We ended up walking back through the main shopping area and into old town. We chilled at this park type thing for a while but it started to rain so we got up and started walking again. We sure do love to walk. 

And to finalize our time in Germany, Ally and I enjoyed a romantic picnic next to the Rhine with currywurst and German beer (well, only she had the beer).

Bye for now Germany, but I will be back and maybe with some German language skills...maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment