About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

This is Halloween!

So when Halloween rolled around I was still tired from my big trip. Besides the nights in London I didn't really sleep well the entire trip. However it was Halloween soI had to do something. Monday through Wednesday I attempted to get in the spirit by watching a ton of movies. I had a bunch of reading to do for my group project and since I normally watch TV or movies when I do school reading it worked out perfectly.
Of course I had to start it off with Hocus Pocus because it just isn't Halloween until you watch that movie. It's justthe perfect amount of ridiculousness and I think I have watched every year thanks to ABC Family's The Thirteen Nights of Halloween. I wish I could have watched some other childhood favorites like Halloweentown or When Good Ghouls Go Bad, but I just didn't have access to them.
I followed that movie up with Scream 1-3. Definitely a Halloween must. Its just one of those really awesomely bad horror movies, and it blantantly lists the horror movie rules for all of those who are uneducated in the formula. Basically I am safe.
In an ideal world this would have been followed by the Halloween movie because Michael Myers is a classic unkillable villan, but no such luck. Instead I switched over to Resident Evil, but only the first one was on Netflix. In junior high and high school Iwould have watched the second one while waiting in line for Fright Night at Sloss Furnace. Unfortunately this year I did get my haunted house/maze.
Seeing as how it looked like Netflix wasn't going to let me watch any movie series, I switched to Carrie. I hadn't seen it since I was a child and Iknew it was a classic so I thought it would be a good choice. I was wrong! The only scary part was the extremely religious mother who abused her daughter and just made me angry. I made it all the way through, but it was a struggle. Also girls' locker rooms are nothing like they are displayed in the openeing scene. I mean is all that nudity necessary? Really?
After that I needed to legitimately scare myself so I tried When a Stranger Calls.
That didn't work so then I decided to just watch a good zombie movie. I tried Day of the Dead because the title seemed promising. Honestly there was a serious lack of the dead. Most of it was about the failing relationships and order of the survivors. All I wanted to see was a bunch of people getting eaten...is that too much to ask?
Seeing as how my choices were failing me I headed on the ridiculous route. I started Return of the Killer Tomatoes, but I had to stop about 5 minutes in. I haven't seen the first one and that normally bothers me, but really I couldn't watch it because its not one you watch alone. It would have been hilarious with my brothers. We watched Killer Klowns from Outer Space this summer and loved it and this move is on the same plane. However, I don't have anyone like that here so I decided to hold off on that one until I get home.
However I wasn't completely giving up on ridiculous movies so I watched Black Sheep. Its about these genetically mutated sheep who start eating people. If you get bitten you start turning into this giant sheep creature. It was AMAZING! It was funny and creepy and a bit deranged...pretty much the perfect combo. Not everyone would enjoy it, but I will definitely watch it again.
It sounds like a lot of movies to watch in three days, but I have been training for this. I even managed to watch Saw 5-7 before going out on Halloween night. I have finally finished the Saw series and I am super happy about it. When ever I watch them I yell at the TV and question my sanity for watching these gruesome gory scenes that obviously make me uncomfortable, but I continue to watch them. And now I know all of the partners and the story lines. I just feel so knowledgeable.

Of course I did eventually go out that night. I headed out with Jasmine, Hannah, and Maureen to Revolution for the cycling social. It was pretty chill and we just hungout there until the club next door, Tequila, opened. The rest of the Avenger group met up with us there and after a few picture with them I finally got to ditch the princess portion of my costume. I was all for being an Avenger, but putting me in a tutu and a tiara is just too much. I was much more comfortable without it.
I think we stayed at Tequila till about 3. I was definitely ready to leave earlier, but whatever. I generally had a good time. I just wish I hadn't spent so much money. Going out costs way too much.

Despite my efforts it never really felt like Halloween. I didn't see any trick-or-treaters, I didn't have any candy, and at no point was I the least bit scared. BOO!

1 comment: