About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Turkey Day

The girls in my flat and I decided to have Thanksgiving dinner together. I think we all were a bit bummed about not being with our families for the day so we thought this would be a nice alternative. I mean Thanksgiving is just about food, family, and football (American, that is).

Usually my family either goes to the lake or to my grandfather's farm. We eat turkey, honey baked ham ('cause I'm not a huge fan of turkey), rolls, corn, apple pie, fruit salad, stuffing, vegetables, and salad. Honestly I don't like most Thanksgiving food and since that is a huge part of the holiday it has never been one of my favorites. However I don't mind hanging out with the family, and its especially nice if Auburn beats Alabama in the Iron Bowl (which definitely didn't happen this year). Also you get to nap and eat all day without judgement.

This year was not the same, but it was a blast. Everyone made something for the dinner. I made grape salad because it requires no skill whatsoever. There was fruit salad, rolls, stuffing, green bean casserole, chocolate truffles, apple pie bites, and corn. Kelsey managed to make a turkey in the ridiculously small oven and I was very impressed. It was delicious! Maureen invited some of her cycling friends and they brought a huge pot of curry and rice. There was tons of food left over.

I'm not even sure how we managed to fit everyone into that tiny kitchen. All the chairs were occupied and even standing space was limited. But we ate and chatted. I sat next to one of Tim's friends and he was hilarious...like had to stop eating funny. After dinner some of us spilled out into the hall and we chatted 'till late in the night.

However, the day was not completely devoid of family. I got to Skype mine just after they finished their Thanksgiving meal. For the first time they had it at my grandmother's house, and some of my cousins were there as well. I love my family, but I could get used to having Thanksgiving with friends. I mean its really just a rehearsal for Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment