About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Baby, It's Cold Outside (Berlin Edition)

Our first stop on our European vacation was Berlin!

Since it was much colder than we had planned on it being we grabbed some frozen yogurt that night and then spent almost the entire next day outside exploring palaces and gardens in Potsdam (about a 45minute train ride outside of Berlin). That makes sense, right? Well it was beautiful regardless of the temperature. Everything was covered with snow and was a bit magical. However, it would have been lovely to see everything in bloom. I could only imagine how breathtaking everything would look in a warmer season. We even managed to find a hidden grotto and totally not trespass into it (I mean there were no signs telling us not to). Once we got our fill of the grounds we headed back to the train station/mall and had a wonderful meal of pad thai and currywurst. Truthfully I wouldn't get currywurst again, but I wanted to try it. I mean they have an entire museum dedicated to the stuff. I don't get the big deal because its basically a hotdog covered in a tomato sauce and sprinkled with curry powder. Still it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't try it cold.

The next day we actually stayed in Berlin. We had the first of many history lessons of the trip, seeing as how all the cities we went to were occupied by the Nazis and then by the USSR, at the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. From stories about the communist occupation we moved to stories about the Nazis in WWII at the Topographies of Terror Museum. It is just so much easier to remember the history when you are in the places that these event occurred, but at the same time, it makes it more emotional and often heartbreaking. By the end of the two weeks I had lost track of how many times I had cried or at least teared up. But to lighten the mood we spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find the Ritter Sport store which apparently doesn't exist. We searched up and down the street and never came across it. Oh well.

But our day wan't over and that night Elizabeth and I, along with the two Canadians (Marcus & Kelly) we met in the hostel, decided to teach the three Swedish guys what pre-gaming was and  how to play Never Have I Ever. I'm not sure they really got the concept of either, but we had a blast.

And the next morning we were off!

1 comment:

  1. The Sweeds will never understand. But I think we did manage to convince them that we are crazy.

    ReplyDelete