About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Easter in Vienna

Just as soon as I was getting settled in Prague it was time to leave for Vienna.

Upon arriving in Vienna I was a bit confused because everything was closed (even grocery stores) and no one was out. Then it hit me: IT WAS EASTER! Honestly I don't remember the last time I celebrated Easter because for the past couple of years I have been away at school. This Easter was no different. I just a nice meal of goulash (more like beef stew this time) and then settled into the hostel. 

Somehow Elizabeth and I managed to get separated from Rachel and Emily at Shonbrun palace the next day. We walked through yet another Easter market and when we turned around they weren't there. We searched for them a bit and then we decided to go ahead and explore the grounds. No one was alone, and we didn't want to waste any more time searching. The place is huge and when we moved past the front area we knew we would never find them. But the two of us had a marvelous time. The grounds were huge and believe that we explored every corner of them. We even found some ducks to feed.
Even though it was only Easter Monday tons of shops and restaurants were still closed. We ended up eating in the U-Bahn station 'cause we couldn't find anything else. And then we made a miraculous discovery. There was a ballet that night at the Vienna Opera House and standing tickets were only 4 euros. 4 EUROS! How could we pass that up?! We tried to meet back up with Emily and Rachel, but we had just missed them at the hostel so we left a note and headed back out. They never did meet up with us, but the ballet was beautiful. And a bit depressing.
We tried much harder to stay together after that. In the morning we went to a simply marvelous food market. I think my dad would have been in heaven there. There was fresh fruit and veggies and fish and olives and olive oil and cheese and sweets and even whole octopuses. I wish I could have tried everything, but I didn't have the money or the stomach space. 
We also checked out St. Stephen's cathedral, the catacombs, and the Austrian Library. 
And once more we were at the Opera House but this time we were there to see an actual opera (still only 4 euros). Of course continuing with the theme of the ballet, the opera also ended on a bit of a depressing note. The opera Wozzeck somehow managed to make the words "hop, hop" heartbreaking.

Unfortunately and fortunately, our final day was not the best for exploring. Elizabeth and I went to Belvedere, but it starting snowing so bad we decided to head back. It didn't help that this was the day that my boots decided to not be the least bit waterproof. It was nice just being able to chill in the room for a while and rest up. Sometimes when I travel for a while I just need a break. But don't worry, the day was not uneventful. Later we met up with Marcus & Kelly (they are studying in Vienna) and went to a karaoke bar with some of their friends. It wasn't the karaoke I was expecting (solo singers and sad songs), but it was great to see them again.  

And then we were off again!


No comments:

Post a Comment