About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Last Stop, Budapest!

And before I knew it we were in our last city, and what a great city to end on. Budapest is ridiculously cheap, which means there economy is doing poorly but its great for travelers. Our hostel only cost about 5 euros a night and at one point I got a 3 course meal for less than 6 euros.

To continue on the cheap path we did another amazing free walking tour, and learned all about the history of Budapest. Did you know that the national veggie/spice is paprika? Also they love their sour cream. And supposedly Yoda's speech pattern was created by translating the script into Hungarian and then back into English. Honestly those free tours are some of the best I have been on so I always tip at the end. The guides even gave us some amazing recommendations on places to eat in the area.
We also explored some terrifically depressing and educational museums such as the House of Terror and the Holocaust Memorial Center (I appreciated the former more, at least in the way it was done). I feel like I know so much about WWII and communism now, and I hope the knowledge lasts.

And then it was time for Rachel and Emily to depart, Elizabeth and I still had one more full day. The parting probably would have been sadder if we hadn't already planned to meet up again in Murcia, Spain.

Still Elizabeth and I had more explorin' to do so we relaxed in the Szecheny Baths and ate some delicious paprika crisps (the closest thing I have come to American BBQ crisps since I got to England in September). For the first time on the entire trip we felt completely warm even when we were outside, as long as we remained in those pools.

And that was it. The trip was over and to be honest I could have kept going. Unfortunately I had to get back because in less than 3 weeks all of my final essays are do and I have come to far to fail them now. Lets hope all goes well!

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember the last time I was so warm. Those pools were glorious.

    ReplyDelete