About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Here Comes My Family ( Or At Least Part of It)

The day after getting back from Dublin, my mum and my brother Sam came up to Bradford to visit me. I was so excited to see them but I was still poorly and dehydrated. Thankfully they were fine with having a chill holiday. In fact, the first day we didn't even leave the hotel room. It was just really nice having my mum there while I was so poorly.

The next two days we still went a bit slow, but I managed to show them around Bradford (not that that takes long). My mum always likes to see where I am living and I got to spend tons of time with Sam which was lovely. He is one of my best friends and I have missed that kid like crazy. I also took them to Leeds. We mainly went there because I had a dentist appointment, but it also gave Sam a chance to pick up some more comic books. Then we had dinner at Ambala with my flatmate Jasmine. I just couldn't let them leave Bradford without having some curry.

Thursday they were pretty much on their own because I had class all day, but that night we caught a train to London. Turns out that my mum accidentally booked a room in this fairly swanky hotel next to the London Eye. We walked into the lobby and there were all these people in floor length gowns and suits and immediately we were all just like "We don't belong." Turns out there was some sort of employers gala going on, but it really was a nice place and the beds were heavenly. Unfortunately I never got to spend as much time in them as I wanted.
We, for some reason, decided that we should get up early in order to have a full day. After a lovely breakfast we headed over to the London Dungeon tours. Somehow we ended up at their old location instead of their current location which is basically right next to our hotel. Eventually we got to the place and the tour was well worth it. It was well done and hilarious. It went through all the gritty history of London and taught us some new torture techniques which will feed nicely into out family discussions of torture (Yes, my family has them, and usually they occur in a public place. our favorite spots are at nice restaurants). Since my mum was there we also went on the London Eye. Sam had already done it, and normally I wouldn't pay for it but it gives a lovely view of the city. In fact, Sam and I had a very lovely game of I Spy because one is never too old for that. Then we ended the night by seeing One Man, Two Guvnors.

Mum and Sam had to leave super early the next morning and it was really sad to see them go. I'll get to see my mum again in May, but I won't see Sam until July and I will only have a month with him before I leave for school. Anyway, this was also my last day in England, at least for a little while, because the next day I had a flight to Berlin. Since I was about to start two weeks of travel I decided to keep the day fairly relaxing. I went to Potted Potter (a play about Harry Potter) and then went bathing suit shopping in the snow. And the next day I began my Easter holiday adventures.

1 comment:

  1. I am really jealous of your family's torture discussions. And of your swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete