About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Friday, May 10, 2013

A Different Sort of Beach

Just after enjoying some of the beaches of Spain, I got to experience a very different sort of beach at Brighton. I traded sand for pebbles and warmth for wind. Quite different, but I loved it. If it wasn't for the crazy wind that only got stronger the longer I stayed it would have been ideal.
Since it doesn't get dark until 10ish now, I still had time to enjoy the area when I first arrived. I wandered along Brighton Pier and lost some money in the arcade there.
There is actually quite a bit to do in Brighton. In the morning I headed over to the Royal Pavilion and enjoyed the odd placement of oriental architecture.
I checked out the Brighton Museum for a bit, but the real pleasure  was meandering through the Lanes (a series of lanes and alleyways with awesome independent shops). Not only was the merchandise fun to look at, but the storefronts were also eclectic and interesting. If I ever open my own store I would want it to look like one of the stores there. It was also while exploring these streets that I learned that the Brighton Fringe Festival was going on. Its just an incredible festival of art, music, comedy, and theatre that goes on for a couple of weeks. Just to give you a better picture: I was sitting on a bench listening to a really good street musician and a white rabbit ran past me. Actually, I should say THE White Rabbit, and not too far behind him was dear old Alice. Of course I was confused, but then the rabbit ran back this time passing out pamphlets for a theatre company that was putting on a bunch of plays all this week. Now that is good advertising, and to get the point across Alice ran back after him random people if they knew where he was heading. If they didn't she took the pamphlet and told them how to get there with the map on the back. Way to go Brighton!

The next day I was determined to go see some cliffs. Originally I had planned to go to Dover, but it is a good ways away so I decided to walk along the coast/cliffs to Rottingdean. It was a bit more of a hike than I had imagined, but it was still easily doable and worth it. The white cliffs were gorgeous and the small town was adorable. I ended up spending a good time in the Kipling Gardens (Rudyard Kipling lived there for a bit) and watching three older couples play croquet. I even managed to get sunburned, something I had avoided in Spain. It wasn't until that night that I really got to enjoy the festival. I thought about going to Sh*tfaced Shakespeare (one of the actors has to be smashed), but instead I went to the Folk Off at Fiddler's Elbow. It was definitely a good choice because I know have three more musicians that I enjoy. Honestly they were all good and I was right in the front. There is nothing quite like live music...especially folk music. I must do this more often!
And then I was off again to meet Rachel and Elizabeth in good 'ole London.












No comments:

Post a Comment