About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Friday, May 24, 2013

National Parks & Driving Rings

Killarney! Doesn't that just sound Irish?! Anyway, that was our next destination.

After a surprisingly good lunch of calamari and crab claws (not fried) we ventured into Killarney National Park and took a boat ride to an abbey on a tiny island in the middle of the lake. The ruins were very well preserved and the site has been home to an abbey since 700 A.D. Even more exciting was the herd of deer that we happened upon. I managed to get fairly close to them, but not close enough to pet them.
I could live on that island...at least for the summer. It was just the perfect place to view the mountains and the rest of the lake.

The island is wonderful but the rest of the National Park is also beautiful. I am so jealous of the people who get to use that area as their running trail, but then again I would just get distracted and end up not running. On another trip perhaps I will get to hike the area a bit more.

To top the day of we happened upon a restaurant called The Med and I had the most amazing mussels. They  were fantastic. I just wish I knew how to cook something like that.

The next day was a day of driving and while that might sound boring it was the opposite. We drove along the Ring of Kerry and the Skelling Ring. We took a ferry over to Valencia island and just enjoyed the lack of people and the plethora of breathtaking views. Thankfully the receptionist at the place we were staying gave us some excellent advice: Don't listen to the tour books. Go the same way as all of the tour buses. If you don't then you have to drive pass them on roads that claim to be two-way but are only wide enough for one car at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment