About Me

Alabama, United States
Originally this blog was just a journal of my year studying abroad in England, but now its just my life. I can't seem to sit still so most of it is travel related, but who knows where it will go from here. Don't be fooled by the name. I LOVE to travel, I'm just not always merry.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Off to Seek a Promised Warmth

This weekend Elizabeth and I went to Murcia, Spain to visit our friend Rachel. I had literally just finished up my school year and was ready for a relaxing vacation. My procrastination had resulted in an all nighter right before my three assessments were due and I was knackered. It didn't help that our flight out of London was ridiculously early in the morning, but we made it to Spain and the trip was wonderful. Unfortunately none of us did a good job of documenting the trip but their are some shots of the beach and the uni.
The first day we walked a bit around Murcia and got to see where Rachel was living. Poor girl has to rely on gas tanks for cooking and warm water and the gas man hadn't come so we couldn't do any cooking until Monday. Thankfully there was enough to supply us with warm water for the weekend because the cold showers would have been a bit brutal. We also got some delicious churros!
The next day was our first of three beach trips. We caught a bus to Alicante beach and spent a couple of hours there. Turns out Rachel has never been to the beach. I mean technically she has, but she definitely didn't do those trips correctly. Elizabeth and I had assumed she was going to the beach for us because the poor girl doesn't like to be wet or cold, but she loved it. She got to swim in the ocean and play in the sand and it was all really cute...of course. 
Later that night (like much later because we were on Spanish time) Rachel made us some delicious sandwiches and then we headed over to her friend Amy's piso for Sangria night. We tried a bunch of different kinds, but I'm pretty sure the one that Elizabeth and I made with peaches and strawberries and white wine was definitely the best one. 
However, we didn't let our incredibly late night stop us from going to a different beach the next day. We met up again with some of Rachel's friends and enjoyed another beautiful day. It was a bit chilly, but Rachel and Elizabeth did get into the water (Rachel was kind of forced into it). 
Sunday we were going to go rock climbing but Rachel was feeling a bit unwell so we decided to go hiking instead. Unfortunately the bus we needed wasn't running so we went to explore the uni instead and feed some ducks. We longed in the sunshine and had a bit of a picnic so it was definitely a good day. By the end of the day Elizabeth  probably had about 100 pictures of a snail that she and Rachel got a bit obsessed with. 
And then once again we were back at the beach. Elizabeth and I headed off without Rachel because she had class. Well, she was supposed to have class, but seeing as how she is studying in Spain they were both cancelled. She ended up getting to the beach like 10 minutes after us because a 5 minute stop turned into 45 minutes and then the bus was searched by an uninterested drug dog. Honestly we couldn't tell if the dog was in training or if it was just Spain. Once we actually got to the beach it was another relaxing day. This time I actually got in the water and somehow ended up coated in sand. 

Spain was definitely an excellent trip and a much deserved reward for finishing my assessments. Its nice having a Spanish speaker with you while travelling, but Elizabeth and I didn't really have any difficulty going on our own. There is just so much of Spain that I still need to explore, but now I am off to Brighton for the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment